Friday, April 29, 2005

Give a mile and they ask for the sea.

I haven't been eating very well lately. There's just no appetite left in me. Today, at around 4:00, I realized I hadn't eaten anything in the last 20 hours. My stomach hated me. So I went where any good suburbanite would go to eat, SUBWAY. However, when I got there, there was a man at the counter mumbling to himself about how he couldn't get a sandwich because that particular subway didn't take EBT cards. He was getting real angry over this dilemma. The man behind the counter look pissed off because apparently the mumbler had been there for a while, cursing at the employee about how unfair his life was. So, fuck it, I thought. I'll just buy you your sandwich so you can eat, and so could I get my grub. I offered to pay for his meal thinking he'd be modest about his order and just get something small, something to tide him over. But of course, he orders the most expensive thing on the menu, and wanted to make sure it came with a drink. How fucking audacious can one be? When someone gives you a mile, you can't ask for the sea. That's just not cool. But, god damn I was hungry, so I went along with it. I don't feel used or taken advantage of. It was my decision to go through with the purchase, and whatever, let the man have his foot long roast beef gourmet meal. The only thing I was disappointed in was that when he was ordering his sandwich, he turned to me and said "these people don't understand english". They were fucking American employees who just happened to have asian ethnicity. What a fucker, I thought. You racist son of a bitch.

I left without accepting his thank you.

No comments: