Friday, August 20, 2004

Pocket Rockers rocked my socks

This Thursday night I decided to take a trip into the heart of consumer culture and hype, Old Town Pasadena. Yes, good ol' old town, where the beer flows like a broken fire hydrant recently smashed to bits by a drunk driver and the entertainment roars louder than the fire truck sirens coming to survey the scene. You can have anything and everything in Old Town, for a price that is. (However, when I tried to purchase a beer from the bar, I was denied because all I had was my passport as I.D.) Besides the not so friendly service one usually finds in this elite Meta-culture, Old Town can actually have its moments of, dare I say, fun. Tonight the excitement happened to be taking place at Ye Old Towne Pub, a small joint hidden away right off of the strip of Downtown. When I first arrived at the pub, I saw the members of Pocket Rockers all sitting around, waiting for their turn to go on stage. The band was comprised of six members, three females and three males, however one of the singers couldn't make it to tonight's show, and therefore left the other five musicians to do their thing without her vocals. But this didn't stop anyone from having a dynamite performance. While watching Pocket Rockers do their thing on stage, what ever it is their thing happens to be, I was reminded of what it literally looks like to see a disjointed crowd of people in a total state of pandemonium. It was like a bomb had gone off on stage while all members scrambled to escape harm's way, but couldn't get off stage to find safety. Amongst the crawling, climbing, cussing, crazy jumping and falling over, Marianne, the lead singer, screeched the main vocals into the microphone in a strangely beautiful but punk rock fashion. Her back up, Jeff, tended to do more harm than good as he continued to tumble over the mic chords and dive directly into the keyboard setup; a true show of passion for punk if I say so myself, or maybe he was just too damn drunk to stand up straight. In any case, the show's main strength was that it kept going with a constant commotion of energetic vibrations. The members where well versed in multiple instruments and swapped gear in mid show, which I thought was quite amazing. The wall of sound exploding from stage complimented PR's amazingly disheveled yet coherent performance. The show sounded as great as it looked. And with the beautiful lead, Marianne Williams in front, take it from me, the performance looked like a sexy supper decked out version of the 2004 Olympics. Now, if I only could have bought that beer using my passport, the night would have been a perfect blend of fem rock my sock action and music. Maybe next time Pocket Rockers plays a venue in Old Town, they should make sure the place accepts ALL legal forms of identification to buy the booze that compliments the vocal and visual aesthetics of their kick ass performance.

No comments: